knitpicking

Thursday, April 28, 2005

honeymoon cami

Finished!

honeymoon cami

(as a side note, apparently I was nervous or something yesterday, because I could not hold the camera still... these pics are the least blurry ones out of many taken, and they're still not great)

Anyway. The details:

pattern: Honeymoon Cami from knitty.com
yarn: a little less than 4 balls Cezanne by Filati Fantasia (50% Cotton, 10% Silk, 40% Viscose / 104 yds per ball) in Ocean Teal
needles: Denises size 9
gauge: 20 sts x 26 rows / 4"
date finished: April 21, 2005

I took some pics in the mirror, but again, they're a little blurry. Hopefully one of these days one of my housemates will be around when I'm trying to take pictures of myself! But for now I guess this will have to do... front and back shots:

honeymoon cami, front honeymoon cami, back


I think this is my new favorite shirt. It's a great pattern, lots of stockinette but the shaping keeps it interesting. I wasn't such a fan of the eyelet ribbing as I knit it, because all those ktbl's are just a pain in the ass with a slightly splitty yarn, but once I finished it definitely grew on me. If I knit this pattern again, I'd probably try a different lace border on the bottom.

I followed the pattern almost exactly as written, but I did make 2 minor modifications. Well, I guess three - I changed the needle size. I knew I knit tightly, but I didn't realize just how tightly... I had to go up 3 needle sizes just to get gauge! But I got a nice fabric on the 9s, so I just went with it, and it turned out perfectly. The other changes - first, I couldn't get the right-slanting decrease called for to look nice, so I just used k2tog instead. And second, it bothered me that by doing one decrease at the very beginning of a round and the matching one at the very end of the round, they appeared to be off by a row. So I skipped the first decrease, did the 2 at the other marker, and then did both at the first marker right after each other (so technically the last one I did was at the beginning of the following round). Same with the increases. Cause I'm just picky like that. :P

I also am completely in love with the yarn I used. It is SO soft and drapey, and the color is amazing (though I had trouble capturing it accurately). It was a little splitty, but for the most part that was only a problem for the ktbl's. Regular knitting and purling were fine, just had to pay a tad more attention than usual. I'm not sure how it will hold up over time, as I haven't washed it yet, but I wore it to a party over the weekend and got beer spilled on me (gotta love college parties, ugh) and not only did it not stain, but I was dry within 2 minutes! So, so far so good... although speaking of that, I should probably run off and wash it...

Also, thank you Amy for hosting the knitalong! It was my first knitalong, and I really liked being able to see other people's progress, hear their problems along the way, etc. and also being able to get feedback from the designer was really helpful. If I can get through enough of my stash, I could definitely see myself knitting another one of these this summer!

3 Comments:

  • I LOVE your cami- what a beautiful job you did. Can you share your source for the yarn? I failed in my internet searches for it.

    By Anonymous Leslie, at 5:55 PM  

  • You're welcome Joanna. It was fun for me to host. Your cami is amazing!

    Have a great weekend,
    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 8:52 AM  

  • Aw, thanks so much!! Leslie, I bought the yarn from Knitwerx, you can see it here. I also have a little leftover - well, a decent amount - if you want to give me your address, I can send you the leftovers from one ball, probably between 1/3 and 1/2 of it.

    By Blogger Joanna, at 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home