knitpicking

Thursday, May 05, 2005

being a senior is great...

... because in between the big assignments, I have a lot of free time for knitting. :) Right now I have two projects on the needles (the raglan tansy tee is "in progress" but not "on the needles" because I'm in between pieces of it, you can see a pic of the front here) and they are making me realize I'm a middle-of-the-road kind of girl. I'm working on the socks for my mom on size 3s, and a ribbon scarf for my sister on size 15s. And I'm sick of both! I need a project on a nice pair of 7s or 8s, because these tiny needles and big needles just don't do it for me. Actually I guess they have their benefits - I don't mind working on the toothpicks but I just hate how slowly I make progress, and I really don't like holding the giant poles but at least the knitting goes quickly. Either way, both projects are almost done and that makes me really happy.

I get a bit of a breather on the socks as well, because I'm not going to try to actually get them to my mom by Mother's Day. In fact it's probably already too late for that! But my sister gets home from college in a week, and the socks are supposed to be from both of us (she paid for the yarn, I'm knitting them, everyone ends up happy :)) so I'm going to send them to her when I'm done, and she can give them to our mom in person (albeit a week late). But, this still means I need to finish the socks soon! And I'm hoping to finish Sara's scarf really soon as well so I can send it all to her together. But the scarf will be done as soon as I knit a few more inches, bind off, and add fringe.

For the socks, I'm really pleased with how they're turning out. This is only my second pair of socks, and the first was done in wool-ease on size 6 dpns, so this is really my first experience with sock yarn and little needles. I really wanted them to turn out well, so I made sure I was prepared. First I knit a teeny little gauge swatch in the round:

teeny tiny gauge swatch

Then, I practiced the toe, because I wanted to make the socks toe-up with a short row toe and I had never tried short rows before.

giant practice toe

And then, I got bored and the acrylic toe got hungry.

giant practice toe eating teeny tiny gauge swatch

A few days and loooooots of knitting hours later, I had a sock!

finished sock!

I'm still working on the second one, I'm maybe 1/3 of the way through the cuff. My goal is to get the sock and the scarf done tonight so I can send them out tomorrow. But we shall see.

1 Comments:

  • Boy I love that self-striping sock yarn! It is so cool!

    Your socks look great.

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home