knitpicking

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Mother's Day socks

two finished socks!

pattern: Wendy's Generic Toe-up Sock Pattern
yarn: 2 balls Lang Jawoll Jacquard sock yarn (75% wool, 18% nylon, 7% acrylic / 208 yds per ball) - only used a small amount of the second ball though
needles: Inox size 3 dpns
gauge: 8 sts / 1"
date finished: May 5, 2005

I am sooo happy that my first real pair of socks came out well! But I'm also a little sad that I don't get to keep them for myself, they're a Mother's Day present for my mom. Right now they are in the mail on the way to my sister, who's going to wrap them and take care of making a card, and she'll deliver them to our mom in person when she gets home from college in a week.

I really liked making socks toe-up, and I like how similar the toe and heel are - fewer numbers and directions to worry about! The short rows took a little getting used to, but by the second heel I think I got the seam to look really neat and tidy. One of those things that just takes practice I guess. I had some problems with holes at the ankles, but the holes actually seemed to get smaller with time as the stitches evened out so I'm not too worried about it anymore.

Can't really compare the yarn to any other sock yarn, but I liked it well enough. I love watching the patterns form, and the stripeyness made it easier to keep track of where I was and to match the socks to each other, which I did a little obsessively:

Mother's day socks on my feet

Now I just hope my mom likes them as much as I do! (And I hope they fit - eep!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home