knitpicking

Friday, May 20, 2005

success!

Exciting news item #1: My sister really likes her scarf. This makes me happy, but of course it isn't terribly surprising since she picked out the yarn and then sat and watched as I tried a bunch of stitch patterns. She picked the seed stitch that I ended up with and by the time I left home I had already knit over a foot of it. So if she didn't like it after all that, I would have been pretty pissed. :P

But! Then there is exciting news item #2: My mom loves her socks! She called me yesterday to thank me - they fit perfectly, she loves the colors, and she even wore them to work! I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :)

Also, I am loving spring fling. My original plan was to finish the back and then go back to the raglan tansy tee, maybe alternating pieces of each project, but the tee just doesn't hold the appeal that spring fling does right now. I finished the back two days ago and cast on for the two front pieces, I'm now about 1.5" through the ribbing. The yarn is starting to get to me a little - the mohair doesn't seem to shed, and it isn't turning my lap pink or anything like that, but it must release little hairs into the air because I get this horrible dry feeling in my throat whenever I knit with it. Luckily keeping a glass of water next to me helps so it's still worth it.

I've also been frantically searching for a good pattern to use my purple cotton fleece for. Thought about a cropped cardigan, but that's what spring fling is, so I'll probably stick with a tanktop of some sort. At first I thought I'd try something simple like this, but everything I've read about the yarn says that it has great stitch definition so then I started looking for patterns with some texture. I found three from Berroco (ribby, cabled, ribby and cabled) and another from Spun magazine - but what I'm leaning towards right now is the shell here. Except the turtleneck isn't really for me, so I might try making it a v-neck, with the cable pattern splitting in half and running up each side, then down the back as straps. It seems complicated though, so I'll have to play around with it. In the meantime, I'll just keep knitting spring fling and fondling the cotton fleece.

3 Comments:

  • I vote for the Paulina Berroco pattern. Congrats on your successful gifts. What a wonderful feeling.

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 5:03 PM  

  • I can't wait to see your Spring Fling when it's done. The colors are gorgeous!

    By Blogger Jane, at 2:26 PM  

  • Your work is gorgeous! Really great! Nice job on the socks (impressive!) and the Honeymoon is perfect! :)

    By Anonymous Beth, at 3:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home