knitpicking

Monday, June 27, 2005

my weirdo back

So I thought my tank was going well - I was knitting to gauge, the width was exactly what it was supposed to be, the cable and lace patterns looked great. This afternoon, after having finished all the waist decreases and increases, I knit a few more rounds and then tried it on. And that's where the problems started. With the "seams" running up the side where they should be, the front fit really well - close fitting without stretching at all. But then I turned around to look at the back, and it looked there was just a ton of extra fabric! It was so loose! And the bagginess would have been fine in other cases, but the rest of it fit so closely that it just looked, well, bad.

The annoying thing is that I probably should have been able to predict this problem after what happened with my honeymoon cami. Looking at this picture, you can see that it pretty much hangs straight down my back. The fabric is very drapey and the top isn't all that close-fitting in general, so it wasn't a big deal in that case, but I was very aware of the few inches between the back of the top and the curve of my back.

So I've come to the conclusion that my back is just strangely shaped. It curves in a whoooooole lot. In the future, I guess I could cast on fewer stitches for the back than for the front, but I feel like the problem is more just in the midle of my back, so maybe I could do a second set of decreases and increases spaced 1/3 of the way in from the sides? I guess I'll have to play with it. I feel like it will only be a problem on tank tops anyway, because most sweaters aren't meant to fit that closely anyway.

But. The big question is, what to do about the problem now? I can't really work in decreases after the fact, you know? My only thought is to drop a few stitches down and then ladder them back up as purl stitches instead of knit stitches, to create a ribbing kind of effect. And if that fails, I guess I'll just frog it all and start again. :( Well, here goes nothing... ohhhhh I hope this works!

1 Comments:

  • Boy, I wish I had a suggestion. I have no idea what I would do. Good luck!

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home