knitpicking

Monday, June 06, 2005

spring fling

spring fling - front view spring fling - back view

pattern: Spring Fling from knitty.com
yarn: 4 balls of 3-stranded mystery eBay combo yarn (one strand pink mohair, one strand blueish rayon, one strand variegated rayon / 100 yds per ball) from spincityarns
needles: Denises size 5 and 7
gauge: 21 sts x 27 rows / 4"
date finished: June 2, 2005

I am SO happy with how this turned out! It was a big experiment from beginning to end - I used a different yarn and a completely different gauge (looooots of math), shortened the body, and changed the shape of the fronts. As if that wasn't enough, it was my first garment in a lacy pattern and my first sweater with set-in sleeves - not only that, it was my first sweater knit completely in pieces, so seaming was an adventure too. But with all that said, it came out exactly how I wanted it to! It fits perfectly, and in the future I won't hesitate to change gauges in other patterns because I know it can work in a sort of complex one (thanks for the help, SnB Nation ;)). If you're interested in my modifications, I posted them on the knitty board here. This pattern is great - it's just warm enough to keep out that AC chill, but light enough that it still feels like a summer sweater.

The yarn provided a few challenges of its own. The three strands weren't twisted together in any way, so I had to be careful not to split them up, especially in the lacy bits. The mohair made it difficult to frog, and for some reason as I knit I would occasionally end up with extra lengths of the mohair strand that I had to gather up at the edges and work into the seams later. And since it had no labels, I didn't know how to wash it... but a Eucalan wash seemed to work just fine. No bleeding, shrinking, or expanding found at all. Plus I still have a ball and half left over to make a matching skinny scarf or belt!

More pics:
in pieces before seaming
loopy mohair bits
shoulder seam closeup
sleeve seam closeup, shows color and texture really well
blocking board that takes up my entire floor

6 Comments:

  • It's gorgeous! You look absolutely fantastic in it.

    Kudos on your set in sleeves and math skills.

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 11:09 PM  

  • I've been pondering doing a modified version of that sweater, and yours looks fantastic!!! Great job with all your ingenuity. BTW, if you like mystery combo yarns on eBay, one of my favorite sellers is sandyk11.

    :) -- the other Joanna

    By Blogger Jo, at 7:15 PM  

  • Hi Joanna,

    You had mentioned on my blog that you were interested in making a sweater out of Berroco Pleasure. Guess what?? Webs has it on sale for $6.49 a ball rather than the usual $13.50.

    Check it out here
    http://www.yarn.com/yarns-knitting/pleasure.html

    Sorry to post this to your comments, but I wanted to make sure you got this message.

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 9:23 PM  

  • it looks great and great on you! wonderful job :)

    By Blogger Rebecca, at 3:04 PM  

  • Wow, it looks great on you! Now, I wanna make one. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    By Blogger alison, at 11:08 AM  

  • Oooh, I'm soo jealous - I've nearly fiished the back of mine and now I want to wear it soooo much. Mine is in a pinkish beige mohair which is equally labeless and came from little shop in the Lake District. It's a fabulous pattern

    By Anonymous KatieEmily, at 9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home