knitpicking

Saturday, July 09, 2005

AAARRRRGGGGHHHH

The formula for a night like the one I'm having:

1. knit
2. frog
3. repeat ad nauseum

I finally got my tank up to the point I was at before I frogged the whole thing last time, tried it on, and it fit perfectly. So I threaded a lifeline in (very important) and continued with my plan for the fronts, which involved splitting in the middle to create a v-neck and then decreasing on both sides to reduce the number of stitches. But I have this big stupid cable pattern running up the middle that I didn't want to disturb, and now it's causing me alll sorts of problems. First I tried decreasing evenly on both sides, but then it bagged at the armholes. Next I tried decreasing once on the inside edge for every 2 decreases on the outside edge - same problem. Tried reversing it - one decrease on the outside for every 2 on the inside - and guess what, SAME FREAKING PROBLEM.

This last time, it finally occurred to me that I only had to rip back one side at a time. Of course I'll have to rip the other one back at some point too, but at least I can try a new decrease formula on the side I ripped and then compare it to the previous incarnation. I am just scared that the stupid cable is messing up the way the front falls just enough that I'll have to use short rows. Scary thought! I've used short rows on socks before, but to incorporate them into my own design? Not a pleasant thought! I'm going to try just one more decrease pattern, and if that doesn't work maybe I'll attempt the short rows... that can wait until tomorrow though. No point in freaking out before I sleep on it.

And here I thought knitting was supposed to relieve stress, not cause more...

2 Comments:

  • Eeek! How frustrating. I think it is awesome that you are trying to design your own garment. I haven't been brave enough yet to attempt that.

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 8:47 AM  

  • Short rows are your friend. They are fabulous things, and I love them. :)

    By Blogger Jane, at 5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home