knitpicking

Monday, August 01, 2005

i'm here i'm here!

Turns out that 2 weeks of travelling, being sick for a few days, and changing computers all combined are not conducive to blogging. But I'm back now, so I'm updating with lots of pictures to make up for my absence! I was in NYC for a week and got back 2 days ago to find not one, but two packages waiting for me... I'll show a picture of one and see if you can guess the other:

secret pal goodies

My secret pal sent me handmade soap, some really cute beaded stitch markers (which are MUCH nicer than my pitiful attempt to make my own a few weeks ago) and - the best part - a hank of koigu! It is so soft and the colors are gorgeous... reds and purples and pinks... the picture does not do it justice. And yes, I did say she sent me a hank - the toy that came in my other package turned it into its current form. :)

Next up, what I did with (most of) my leftover cotton fleece:

one skein wonder

It's a one skein wonder - knit up very quickly but it was kind of a pain in the ass to knit. Before blocking, it was way too small... I washed it this afternoon and I'm waiting for it to dry. I stretched it out as much as I could so I'm just hoping it will be wearable!

Next up is my newest project:

sock for my secret pal

I feel like I've suddenly become addicted to socks, so I want to spread the addiction around. :) My SP listed herself as an "advanced beginner" and I'm sure she can handle socks, but she had never tried before. So I'm sending her the book "Cool Socks, Warm Feet," a ball of sock yarn (Trekking something or other - saw it at my LYS and it looked interesting), and a pair of handknit socks. I'm using the leftover yarn from the socks I knit my mom for mother's day, I think I should have just enough to make ankle socks for her. (She has size 10 feet, but I keep trying them on on my size 6 feet anyway - when asked what I was working on, I answered, "foot bags.")

I think I really really need a lesson in self-control. I promise I only went into the LYS to buy sock yarn for my secret pal - that's it! - but somehow I left with the sock yarn, 2 balls of Karabella Aurora 8, and a special order for 2 balls of Regia. Um... oops? Well the Aurora 8 is totally defendable - slightly mishapen balls on sale for $5 each, if you've touched this yarn then I'm sure you understand. ;) And the Regia, well, they had one ball of this colorway and I asked if they had a second, almost hoping that they would only have the 1 and I wouldn't even have to consider it. They didn't have any more, but she was very quick to offer to special order it for me at no extra cost, and before I could stop and think I found myself saying yes!

So, uh, here are the reasons I should not have been buying more yarn:

crystal palace kid merino
5 balls of Crystal Palace Kid Merino in a light blue color, to be used doubled for the lacey wrap sweater from Rebecca 29

purple yarn for sockapal2za socks
1 ball (100g) of slightly variegated purple wool for my sockapal2za socks from Weaving Southwest in Taos, NM (technically this is one of their "solid" colors, but there's definitely some variation, which makes it more interesting I think)

yarn from new mexico
This is the rest of the yarn I bought on my road trip from CA to NY that I'm going to use for a sweater. The color is horrible in this pic unfortunately. The top two are camel-colored and dark green natural dyed 100% wool yarns from Tierra Wools in Los Ojos, NM. The middle row is dark red Lamb's Pride which I found incredibly cheap in hank-form at a rest stop in Tuba City, AZ; natural-dyed 100% wool (violet/pink) from La Lana Wools in Taos, NM; and a dark variegated wool-mohair blend also from Weaving Southwest. The bottom is a skein of black Lamb's Pride that I bought from Webs just because I thought it would look nice with black between stripes of the other colors to make them stand out. I still haven't decided if I'm going to look for a pattern for all this, or just make up my own.

But wait, there's more!

berroco pleasure
10 balls of Berroco Pleasure (bought very cheap from Webs because the yarn is being discontinued *sniff*) for this sweater

jo sharp silkroad aran
12 balls of Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran (also bought very cheap, for the same reason, but this time from Elann) for a top down V-neck raglan

AND, waiting for me in California (where I'm going on Friday) is a pound and a half of wool from Mystical Creation Yarns that I ordered 2 or 3 months ago when they had a 20% off sale. TOO MUCH YARN!! (Is there such a thing?)

And that's just what I've acquired in the past 2 months or so, let alone the random yarn I had from before then. It's kind of... um... everywhere. It's taking over the house. If I don't treat it well, there might be a yarn revolution. Guess I should go knit some more...

2 Comments:

  • Wow! You have some mighty fine yarn there. Your stash, like mine, is multiplying like rabbits.

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 8:42 AM  

  • Psh. You don't have too much yarn. You just have too LITTLE storage space. ;)

    By Blogger Jane, at 1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home