knitpicking

Friday, August 26, 2005

ribbed stripey socks

finished stripey socks

pattern: Wendy's Generic Toe-up Sock Pattern with 3x1 ribbing on the instep and cuff, 1x1 ribbing on top, and a sewn BO
yarn: 1 ball Plymouth Sockotta (45% cotton, 40% superwash wool, 15% nylon / 414 yds per 100g ball)
needles: Inox size 3 dpns
gauge: 6.5 sts / 1"
date finished: July 2005

I actually finished knitting these a while ago, but I wore them once before washing them, and they were not comfortable at all so they kind of got thrown in the corner. I finally washed them a week ago, and they're much better. But overall I don't really like this yarn... it's not the softest, and while I was knitting it had zero stretch. Because of this, even with all the ribbing, the socks are a little slouchy. The color repeats in the yarn were so long that instead of trying to line up the colors, I was only able to line up the stripes, so I couldn't make the socks identical. And the yarn made my 1x1 ribbing look awful, and it didn't really expand or readjust to fill in the holes at the ankles.

ribbed stripey sock

But with all that said, this is the first real pair of socks I've knit for myself. Next time I think I'll stick to wool (or stretchy cotton) sock yarns, but the finished product is very wearable and they do fit well.

1 Comments:

  • Yea for your first sock! I'm sorry that it wasn't what you were expecting. I'm sure your next sock endeavour will be much better.

    Have a great weekend,
    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home