knitpicking

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

a socky miracle! and some tee progress...

So. There I was knitting away on the socks for my secret pal - I had finished one and was halfway through the second - when lo and behold, I ran out of yarn. I undid the toe on the first one, used that extra yarn to get the second up to the same place, and figured I would find some way to finish the toes.

Stop #1 was the small store where I got the yarn in the first place; they didn't have the same dyelot anymore, and they didn't have anything else that could work. Stop #2 was the tiny new LYS very close to my house that I had been meaning to try; they only had a few balls of sock yarn, nothing close to the right color. Stop #3 was the LYS I've gone to a few times and had moderate success at - still nothing good. I began to think I had an impossible request - sport-weight machine washable wool (or a wool/nylon blend) that matched these.

As a last resort, I made the trek allll the way out to Irvington to check out Flying Fingers, since I'd heard so much about them. And look what was there waiting for me!

louet sales gems quartz yarn

It's Louet Sales Gems Quartz yarn, with 3 strands of green twisted together, that matches perfectly!!

a perfect match!

It's a little thicker than the other yarn, but it's close enough. I finished off my toes, threw the socks in the washer and dryer, and they came out wonderfully soft. They're in the mail right now, I'll post a picture once my SP gets the package and my identity is revealed.

Flying Fingers was also having a huuuuge summer sale while I was there. Somehow I used all my will power and only came away with this:

colinette isis

Colinette Isis, a bulky viscose chenille, that was 50% off and is super soft and pretty. It'll make a really nice scarf I think.

My raglan tansy tee is finally coming along too.

more pieces of the tee that never ends

That's the back and a sleeve, I'm part of the way through the second. It would be great to get it finished and seamed up tonight, but if not I'll at least be finished by tomorrow.

That is, if I can squeeze it into my crazy schedule - I'm moving on Friday and I have about a zillion things to do before then! But packing really stresses me out so I can use knitting as a way to relax, and then I don't have to feel guilty, right? :)

1 Comments:

  • The SP socks look great. She will be so proud of them, especiall when she read what trouble you went through to finish them.

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home