Thursday, September 29, 2005

raglan tansy tee

raglan tansy tee laid flat

Finally, the beast is FINISHED!

pattern: Raglan Tansy Tee from spring 2005 issue of Cast On Magazine, size XXS (but with different gauge - I'm not that tiny!)
yarn: K1C2 2nd Time Cotton (75% recycled cotton, 25% acrylic / 180 yds per 100g hank); 3 hanks Atlantis, 2 hanks Glacier
needles: Denises size 6
gauge: 20.5 sts x 30 rows / 4"
date finished: September 23, 2005

And... well... it's finished. I started this project a long time ago, in March I think. I loved the look of the pattern in the magazine, so when I substituted yarn I tried to find something that would give a similar look. The 2nd Time Cotton isn't variegated, but its plies are different colors to give a watercolor-y effect. I like the yarn, but I'm not in a rush to use it again... it was a little hard on my hands, and while it feels nice against my skin I would definitely not call it soft. In the future I think I'd much rather use a soft cotton/wool blend like Cotton Fleece again than go back to this yarn.

As for the finished sweater? Well... I'm just not sure how I feel about it. After it sucked up so much time spread out over so many months, finishing it felt anticlimactic. I didn't finish it because I was excited about it; I finished it because I got tired of seeing it on my WIP list. I don't know if the horizontal stripes are very flattering on me, and I planned out the waist shaping (the original called for knitting the whole body straight) before I really knew what I was doing, so the decreases are way too close together and the increases are way too spread out. What do you think?

raglan tansy tee

The good things: despite the weird shaping, it does fit really well. This was my first raglan top, and my first time seaming stripes, and my seams are almost perfect (the only problems are at the underarms where I fixed the sleeve length). Even though I picked it up and put it down numerous times, I managed to keep a consistent gauge throughout. And, I learned how to do a tubular bind-off on the collar, which magically stopped the flaring I was getting from other bind-offs. I think I will probably wear this, maybe under a jacket, as a fall sweater.

see all project photos

And now that it's done, I can work on softer, prettier things with no more guilt! ;)


  • I think it looks great! I'm glad to see someone else is making this -- mine is taking forever too! (I'm almost done with the back, and I got this issue new!)

    By Blogger Elspeth, at 4:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home