knitpicking

Monday, September 26, 2005

shrug plans foiled

Sigh... I thought I had my Saturday all planned out. I have 2 friends who live in Manhattan that I wanted to see, both in the east village... my plan was to meet up with friend #1 at 1:30, grab a late lunch, walk around a bit, and then he had to be somewhere around 6 so I would leave and head over to friend #2's apartment, stopping at Downtown Yarns on the way. I wanted to pick up the pattern that Alison used for her gorgeous feather and fan shrug. I've loved that shrug from the moment I first saw it, and I'm all socked out at the moment so it seemed like the perfect way to use that gorgeous hank of Koigu that my SP gave me. I also used my 10% off coupon from eBay to buy a ball of Kidsilk Haze in a gorgeous maroon color that I don't remember the name of that will hopefully match the Koigu perfectly.

Only problem? Friend #1 decided that we should get pizza for lunch, and we should go to a pizza place in Brooklyn (admittedly, the pizza there is damn good). We didn't get there until about 3, and by the time we finished and wanted to head back, it was close to 4. We walked down the steps of the subway station just as a train was pulling in, so he led me directly onto the train. It was a full 3 stops later that I realized we were going the WRONG WAY, farther into the depths of Brooklyn, on the express train no less! We got off at the next stop but there was no way to switch to the other direction from there, so we had to take the local train 2 more stops farther into Brooklyn before finally finding a crossover. Needless to say, by the time we got back into Manhattan, the time I planned on having to visit the yarn store had all but vanished.

So now I'm not really sure what to do. I won't be in NY again for at least 3 more weeks, and by then it won't really be shrug weather anymore. I could try to wing it, since the pattern seems fairly straightforward, but (a) I'd feel like I'm ripping them off, and (b) I have a feeling that the pattern as written would use every last inch of yarn, so if I improvise on gauge, I could end up falling short of the requirements. Harumph... what's a feather-and-fan-shrug-craving girl to do?

1 Comments:

  • Could you get them to mail/fax/email the pattern?

    I rode the subway once in NYC, and it scared me to death. I so was afraid I would get on the wrong train and end up God knows where.

    By Blogger amylovie, at 5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home