knitpicking

Monday, September 19, 2005

sockapaltwoza socks

Why, what could that be peeking out from underneath my jeans?

finished sockapal2za socks

I believe it is a pair of finished socks! Here are the specs:

pattern: my own, I'll probably post it soon
yarn: 1 hank Weaving Southwest Hand-dyed Sport Yarn (100% wool; 375yds/4oz) in Logwood (I think?)
needles: Inox size 2 dpns
gauge: 8 sts / 1"
date finished: September 13, 2005

And some more pictures:

sockapal2za socks drying flat
look, they're friends!

As I mentioned before, my sock pal asked for anklets without anything frilly or lacey. She didn't have a color preference, and I checked to make sure that hand-wash would be okay before using this lovely yarn I bought in New Mexico on my cross-country road trip. The color is technically one of their "solids," but there is a decent amount of variegation from a deep, rich purple to a slatey grayish purple.

I didn't really use a pattern for these... I guess I've gotten to a point where I see socks as a combination of a bunch of techniques and ideas all put together. These were knit cuff-down starting with a twisted German cast-on (so deliciously stretchy!), then a normal slip-stitch square heel flap, rounded heel, diamond pattern adapted from here on instep, and a garter stitch toe. Garter stitch in the round on DPNs is not so much fun, but I think it's worth it for the added padding and stretchiness it gives.

Unfortunately, the socks are still sitting on my desk right now. I had someone in town visiting me from Wednesday until today and couldn't find time to mail them, and I meant to take care of it today, but I found myself in the campus ER at 3am with hives all over my legs. They gave me Benadryl, which helped but also knocked me out, and even though I'm awake now I'm still pretty out of it. So I'm going to take it easy for the rest of the day, and send out the socks tomorrow. Sock pal, I hope you can forgive me for the lateness!!

3 Comments:

  • Your blog is great . If I can help, let me know. If you ever need in printing done, I'm sure you'd be interested in printable business cards Try printable business cards

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:24 PM  

  • They turned out great. She will be so pleased.

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 6:45 PM  

  • i'm glad you like the socks i sent you i'm sorry the bind off was too tight! they were my first toe up socks ever... i've gotta learn a new bind off! i'm so sorry you have to fix that! i hope it's not too hard!
    dying with koolaid is oh so much fun! you'll enjoy it!

    By Blogger Allena, at 4:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home