knitpicking

Saturday, October 15, 2005

home!

Well, it took a 4-hour drive in the pouring rain, but I'm back at my parents house in NY for the weekend. Being here is so nice and relaxing, especially after a not-so-great week. (I am feeling much better now, thanks for your get-well thoughts!) But, there were a few things along the way that made my week better... I finished knitting Haley, and had to buy 2 new towels just to block her:

the sweater that ate my floor

Now she is dry but still in pieces - the plan for the day is to sit down in front of the TV and have a big seaming party. Also, I finished these:

mitten #1

Only one was done when I took that picture, but I'm happy to say that the other looks very similar. The yarn pooled and striped in almost exactly the same way. I wasn't really following a pattern, and would definitely change some things next time around, but overall I really like these mittens, and of course they are Malabrigo so they are incredibly soft and cozy.

And the week was punctuated by not one, but TWO great packages! The first was from Karen, who hosted the Knitty SP4 and wanted to make up for the fact that I never got a third package from my secret pal (who also still hasn't revealed herself - secret pal, are you out there?). She definitely went above and beyond - lots of koigu and chocolate! What more could I ever want?

package from karen

That's almost the complete package, there... um... may have been a few more of the little candies. But they're so tasty, I couldn't resist!

And then, the next day, I got this package from my (non-knitter) friend Lauren, who spent part of the summer in Vermont:

package from lauren

A mini-jug of maple syrup (yum!) and a hank of white wool, spun from the sheep at Shelburne Farms in VT. I'm thinking the yarn will make a great felted bag, it was such a thoughtful gift!

And also, because I never posted a picture of it, here are the goodies I got from Allena that came along with the amazing socks:

package from my sockapal2za pal

Hee, I'm a lucky lucky girl. Now I just have to sort through my stash/go shopping and figure out what to send in return for these lovely gifts!

4 Comments:

  • Hey Joanna! It's Tope from knitting group. I just got some malabrigo yarn from a friend, and I'm thinking about making it into mittens. I was wondering - did you use a pattern for yours, or did you just wing it?

    By Anonymous Tope, at 10:45 AM  

  • Hi Tope! :) I decided to wing it with these, and I tried to keep detailed notes about what I did - which you are welcome to have - but, while they came out okay, there are definitely things I would change next time. Let me know if you want my notes, and I can bring the mittens themselves to knitting group next week if you want to try them on to see how they fit!

    By Blogger Joanna, at 2:26 PM  

  • I would love to see your notes, and the mittens, if it's not too much trouble. Thanks! :)

    By Anonymous Tope, at 11:17 AM  

  • Cute mitten! I like the colors.

    By Blogger Jennifa, at 6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home