knitpicking

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Malabrigo Mittens

Malabrigo mittens

pattern: my own
yarn: 1 hank Malabrigo (100% merino wool / 215 yds per 100g) in Geranio with lots leftover
needles: Brittany Birch size 7 dpns, Inox aluminum size 6 dpns
gauge: 20sts x 8 rows / 4"
date finished: October 13, 2005 (or something around there)

My first mittens! I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. They definitely fit me, but there are a few changes I'd make next time around... I think I'd get rid of the extra stockinette section between the ribbing and the thumb gusset (or maybe reduce it to 1 or 2 rows), and the thumb could be a little wider. Nothing so bad that I'd want to frog and re-knit these, though!

Malabrigo mitten

I am completely and totally in love with this yarn. It is SO soft and cushy. I'm a little scared to wear the mittens because I don't want to mess them up! I brought them to knitting group last night, and all the ladies there said they looked nice, but then once one person touched them, they insisted that everyone else touch them. Because they're okay to look at, but they're fabulous to touch. ;)

I think I'm going to buy 2 more hanks of Malabrigo for my sister's birthday present. My plan is to make her a hat and mittens, and then give her what's left to make a scarf because she's a beginning knitter who has never worked with such a soft, yummy wool. Actually, within the past week or 2, I've decided to knit a whole lot of presents... we'll see how far I can get. Here's the plan:

Zigzag hat in sparkly white Woolease
For Katie, one of my best friends from college, whose birthday is November 11... I'm almost finished.
Branching Out in dark brown Andean Treasure from Knitpicks
For Lauren, my other best friend from college, the one who sent me the white wool from VT! Her birthday is November 14... I just started this last night, it's my first "real" lace project so it's going kind of slow so far but I think I can get it done in time.
Besotted Scarf in tan Andean Silk
For my dad, as a Hanukkah present. I'm not sure exactly when Hanukkah is this year, but my dad will be forgiving if it's a little late (I hope).
scarf in green Suri Dream
For my mom, also for Hanukkah. I'm going to play with the yarn and see if it will show any texture at all, because I think a mistake rib could look really nice, but if the fuzz obscures any stitch definition then I'll just stick to garter stitch.
hat and mittens out of Malabrigo
For my sister (mentioned above)

The chances I'll get to knit anything for myself in the next 2 months? Slim to none. Ah well. At least I have new mittens and a new sweater to tide me over. :)

5 Comments:

  • I love the Malabrigo as well. It is on my growing list of favorite yarns. Your mittens look great. I wish it were cold enough it TX to wear them.

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 11:52 AM  

  • LOVE the mittens! Any chance you will share the pattern?
    Great job and I agree the Malabrigio is soooooooo snuggly!

    By Anonymous Dani, at 12:13 PM  

  • I love your mittens! You are going to get a suprise any day now. Hope school is going well.

    By Blogger Yarnista, at 4:15 PM  

  • Gorgeous yarn! Love dem mittens! XD

    By Blogger Kimberly, at 5:40 PM  

  • Love the mittens! I love the color! So pretty!

    By Blogger Jenn, at 10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home