knitpicking

Monday, October 03, 2005

what can i say, i'm a sucker for softness

Between the Boston Knit-Out yesterday and the knitting group today, there has been so much knitting in the past 2 days - life should always be like this! The Knit-Out was a lot of fun... I met Stariel and Grumperina, in both cases I was a weird combination of excited and embarrassed to recognize someone from the internet. The embarrassment almost won out, but I figured I had nothing to lose, so I went up and introduced myself to both of them, and even though I talked to each of them very briefly, I'm glad I mustered up the courage to do so. :)

There were two large tents set up there with tables and booths from a lot of local yarn stores. I went with a friend of mine and most of our conversations went like this:

me: "Oh my gosh, this yarn is amazing, come feel this!"
Bridget: "Oooooh you're right, what is it?"
[pause to search for label/ask person at the booth]
me: "... oh. Cashmere. Moving along..."

But then, at the Windsor Button table, something new and different:

me (while petting a scarf): "OH you have to touch this! And look at the amazing colors!"
Bridget: "How do you always find the cashmere??"
person working at booth: "That's not cashmere, it's merino. Called Malabrigo - only $12 for 215 yards!"

I'd heard of Malabrigo before, of course, because I obsessively look up yarn on the internet... and I'd heard that it was incredibly soft, unimaginably soft, but somehow I was still surprised when I touched it. Windsor Button gave out 10% discount coupons at their booth, and the shop was a 2 minute walk from Boston Commons, and I wanted yarn to make myself a pair of mittens anyway, so I came away with this:

purchases from windsor button

The addi turbo is there because I saw someone knitting 2 socks on one circular and I got inspired. Two balls of Regia are sitting waiting for me at a shop in NY, my mom is going to pick them up for me and bring them with her next weekend when she comes up to Boston to visit me. I already cast on the Malabrigo (even though I'm just making mittens, I'm going to knit and wash a swatch first based on Jane's experience with this yarn) and it really feels like knitting with a soft, fluffy cloud.

Luckily, I don't have to compare the softness of yarns, because it would really be a toss up between Malabrigo and Pleasure. I may have trouble knitting with anything else after these super-soft projects! The Pleasure is so nice that I've been working on my sweater much more than I probably should, but I just can't put it down. I finished the front at the Knit-Out, it has got to be one of the most strangely-shaped sweater fronts ever:

longest sweater front ever?

To give a better sense of how honkin' huge this thing is, I laid my new scarf down on top of it:

front of haley sweater, with a scarf for comparison

Yep, the sweater is longer! What's funny is that I doubt I would have had the same drive to finish if I were working on a scarf the same length as the sweater front, even though it would have been much skinner and thus much faster, because... well, when I was done, all I'd have is a scarf! Instead of this gorgeous wrap sweater. I tried to pin the front together the way it will sit once everything is seamed up... I've made a whole lot of modifications to this pattern but I have to say, the construction is ingenious.

haley front wrap (sort of)

I don't have a photo of the back yet, but I cast on for it yesterday and I'm already past the armholes, so it should be done pretty soon. ;) Especially because I think I'm getting sick (ugh) and might spend the next day or 2 on the couch with nothing better to do than knit!

1 Comments:

  • You and I have very similar taste in yarn. The Malabingo is absolutely luscious! I also love the kettle dyed look of it. Very different.

    Hope you get to feeling better.

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home