knitpicking

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Branching Out

Okay... I may officially be a lace addict.

stitch detail of branching out

The specs:
pattern: Branching Out from Knitty
yarn: 2 skeins KnitPicks Andean Treasure (100% baby alpaca / 110 yds per 50g) in Granite
needles: Denise size 8s
gauge: it's a lace scarf, I don't even know how to measure gauge on lace!
date finished: November 9, 2005

Yep, I had a feeling this would happen. Here I thought I was just innocently knitting away on another gift, and next thing I know I've fallen in love. I'd read enough about lace to know that blocking would produce some sort of magical transformation - and it did - but I had to see it for myself to truly appreciate it. Remember what it looked like before?

branching out... sort of

Not anymore - now I have a beautiful, delicate, non-lumpy scarf. I washed and blocked it according to the Yarn Harlot's fabulous instructions, threading a piece of crochet cotton through each of the 4 sides. The finished scarf is 56" by 7", and I could have stretched it a little more in length but I wanted to keep it on my snazzy ocean towel instead of hanging off onto my bed, because I don't really enjoy wet sheets.

branching out, blocking

The scarf was wet when I left this morning, but completely dry by the time I came home 6 hours later. I finished it in just enough time to get to Lauren by her birthday (November 14th), though I haven't decided yet if I should get anything else to send with it. Or maybe instead of it, cause you know, I could use a lace scarf myself. ;)

Ohhh, and the yarn! I must discuss this yarn! Because you see, I am possibly more in love with the yarn than I am with lace. It is just so soft, and so heathery. I do like tweedy colors but the more subtle heathered variations of this are right up my alley. I'm already planning ways to make a sweater out of it... thinking that maybe I can double-strand with a laceweight merino to give it the memory that alpaca lacks. I think I'll post on the knittyboard to get opinions. For now I have a strand a few yards long leftover from the scarf that I can fondle...

In case you were wondering, "hm, I wonder what that scarf would look like draped over a futon back?" well do I have the pictures for you! I had a heck of a time trying to get a picture that showed both accurate color and good stitch definition, so you get one of each.

branching out, modelled by my futon, take 1 branching out, modelled by my futon, take 2

9 Comments:

  • branching out is beautiful! I hope mine comes out as nice!!

    By Blogger me myself and i, at 10:23 AM  

  • That is really beautiful! Good work! I think i need to make one now! Love how you give a reference to the yarn and pattern. Thanks!

    By Blogger Mitchypoo, at 1:03 PM  

  • Gorgeous! You must make yourself one now.

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 2:07 PM  

  • Very nice! I too will one day finish mine and I can only hope it looks as beautiful as yours.

    By Blogger Sedie, at 3:39 PM  

  • Beautimus! Isn't amazing what blocking does for lace? Welcome - now you can join Lace Anonymous with the rest of us!

    By Anonymous DeltaDawn, at 3:48 PM  

  • These turned out very pretty! I think I may have to try this pattern. Looks really fun.

    By Blogger Nessie Noodle, at 6:48 PM  

  • It's gorgeous! You did great work! I want to make that scarf, but just don't have the time at the moment

    By Blogger Jenn, at 8:27 AM  

  • Jo! I can't believe all the gorgeous finished objects on your blog. The productivity puts everyone I know to shame. Such beautiful work! <3!

    By Anonymous Beth, at 10:23 AM  

  • Your Branching Out scarf is beautiful. You've inspired me to make one too.

    By Blogger Persnickety Knitter, at 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home