knitpicking

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

zigzag hat

Holiday season present #1 is finished!

zigzag hat

pattern: Zigzag hat from Knitty (the hat pattern is at the bottom)
yarn: 1 skein LB Wool-Ease (78% acrylic, 19% wool, 3% polyester / 162 yds per 70g) in White / Multi 301
needles: Denise circular and Brittany Birch dpns, both size 7
gauge: erm... no idea... close enough? ;)
date finished: October 26, 2005

This is actually a birthday present, not a Christmas present, but my friend Katie's birthday is November 11 so it got lumped in with the other gifts. The yarn is white with a metallic-y pearly strand wrapped around, which gives it a really fun look, but made the cabling a PITA. I really like this pattern, but I almost like the wrong side more - I'd switch it now if it weren't for the aforementioned cabling. ;) But if I ever make another one, I might turn it inside out and just purl in the sections between the lace zigzags. I also liked the pattern of the top decreases, they were planned out really well:

top of zigzag hat

Katie lives in southern California, so it might seem like a hat is a silly present, but she often complains about being cold. I figured a lacey pattern in a yarn that doesn't have a very high percentage of wool or other animal fibers would provide just the right amount of warmth! Now I just have to find the perfect vegetarian cookbook (the hat doesn't seem like enough of a present on its own) and send it off.

Also, the reason I'm dying to do something colorful... here is brown scarf #1 (which needs its ends woven in and a serious blocking):

branching out... sort of

and brown scarf #2:

start of besotted scarf

4 Comments:

  • I absolutely love that hat, it looks great. You are an amazing knitter. I don't know how you find the time with school. Hope things are good!

    By Blogger Yarnista, at 7:17 PM  

  • I love how the hat shines in the second picture. Your friend is going to love it.

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 10:40 PM  

  • wonderful projects and WOW that package is terrific - what a great SP you have!!

    By Anonymous Dani, at 10:52 AM  

  • I love the hat! I am definitely going to have to make that! Great job!

    By Blogger Jenn, at 2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home