knitpicking

Monday, December 26, 2005

plans foiled yet again!

First, to answer your questions, the sweater I posted a picture of is Penryn, from Jaeger book #36 (Natural Fleece and Fur Collection). I was inspired by Carolyn's version, and I bought the book just for that one pattern... but after flipping through it, I'm actually quite impressed. They have a lot of nice sweaters in there that I could see myself making, and they're all knit with superchunky yarn (~2.5sts/in) which I normally don't like, especially on myself. Kudos to the designers for creating a lot of sleek looks out of such bulkyness.

Sadly, I have no photos of Penryn in progress... because there is no Penryn in progress. Despite ordering the yarn over a week before I left school for winter break, I am still Polar-less. I forgot to factor in extra shipping time for the holiday craziness, so the yarn is probably sitting in my mailbox at school waiting for me, and it will sit there until January 8.

However, I have been knitting up a storm - so while there is no Purple Polar Penryn, there is a Pink Pomatomus (and a bit of P alliteration overload):

the start of pomatomus

I love love love this pattern. The twisted ribbing is fabulously stretchy and thick, and the shells are just too cool! I'm using Louet Gems Merino which I got in the Yankee swap at my knitting group last week, and it's working up very quickly.

Also, I'm nearing the home stretch in my Sherbert Swirls sweater, and I finally got a picture of it:

sherbert swirls sweater in pieces

(If you look closely, you can see a swatch of Silkroad Aran in the corner.)

The problem with my design for this sweater is that the "home stretch" involves knitting about 2" of 2x2 ribbing over 298 stitches. TWO HUNDRED NINETY EIGHT STITCHES. It takes me over 20 minutes to do each row, and I get frustrated enough with it that I can only do one row at a time (though I think I've done 3 over the course of the day today). Which means it will be a while before it's done. And then, after the body ribbing, I have to knit the belt, which will probably be a few feet of 1x1 ribbing. FUN. Though for my first full-sweater-design-attempt, it's going very well... the sweater fits, the ribbing had the desired effect of adding simple waist shaping, and I managed to use a hand-dyed yarn without too much weird pooling.

Still haven't found my camera - I'm home so I can borrow my mom's. My sister got a new 5 megapixel Nikon today too, so maybe I'll borrow hers next, and you can expect some Fabulous Photography.

3 Comments:

  • All of your UFO's are coming along nicely. Hope you can make it through the ribbing!

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 6:55 AM  

  • Wow, I love the ribbing! Everything looks wonderful!

    By Blogger Jenn, at 10:43 AM  

  • The sock looks great! I'd really like to try Pomatomus, but I think I ought to try a simpler sock pattern before I tackle it.

    I'm still not done with my mother-in-law's shawl. I'm working on the shell border (somewhat similar to the shells on your sock), and it's taking *forever*. It takes half an hour to do each shell, and I have 20 more to go. Bleh.

    Happy New Year!

    By Anonymous Tope, at 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home