knitpicking

Thursday, January 05, 2006

trip to smiley's

With my handy new GPS unit strapped into my car, me and my sister went on a yarn adventure into Queens earlier today. She wanted to stock up while I just wanted to "look around" (like that ever works!) so we went to Smiley's, where you can buy lots of yarn without spending lots of money. Good combo. :) When we were ready to check out, one of the women at the front looked at our yarn and then looked at the other woman: "You should give them a Big Bag." Apparently, their Big Bag looks very similar to my trash bags:

yarn from smiley's

And look what it held!

yarn from smiley's

I came away with 2 balls of brown sock yarn (Cervinia Calzetteria) and 6 balls of Filatura Lanarota Luxor DK in a deep teal-greenish color. Also in the picture are 2 balls of Plymouth Foxy that I bought at my LYS yesterday - less than $10 for both, when the retail price seems to be over $25 for one ball. I'm probably going to swap it but I couldn't pass up such a good deal!

yarn purchases from the last 2 days

My sister's purchases:

my sister's purchases

Paton's Decor in black and cream for her first sweater (we picked Sesame from Magknits), some pink Cotton-Ease for a lacy top from Elann that I can't find the link to right now, bronzey Paton's Brilliant for... something or other... and a needle and row counter.

The yarns that I had the hardest time resisting were Cervinia Londra and Cervinia Fiamma. I couldn't come up with a project for the Londra off the top of my head, and it is somewhat similar to Polar (both are single-ply wool/alpaca/acrylic blends, and I have a bag of Polar waiting for me in Massachusetts), so I left it on the shelf. And the Fiamma is soooooooo soft, but the colors are just not my thing. If you're looking for a soft variegated thick and thin yarn, I'd definitely recommend it - as long as I get to pet whatever you make with it!

I felt justified in buying more yarn because I've been knitting up a storm. I finished my first Pomatomus sock, but I have to frog and reknit the foot, so it's been sitting in the corner while I worked on this:

classy stripe sweater

I'm calling it my "Classy Stripe" sweater - it's a top down raglan in Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran. The yarn is really nice, and it knits up so quickly! I'm actually a little sad that it's going so fast, because that means less knitting time... I guess I'll have to find other yarns to pass the time with instead. ;)

1 Comments:

  • That is a STEAL for Foxy. It retails for 28 bucks!

    I love the colors in your sweater.

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home