knitpicking

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Berkshire Bulky hat and scarf

Better late than never!

Berkshire Bulky hat and scarf

pattern: my own
yarn: 3 balls Valley Yarns Berkshire Bulky (85% wool, 15% alpaca / 108 yds per 100g) in Cream - 1 ball for the hat, 2 for the scarf
needles: US10.5 16" Denise circular and Inox US10.5 dpns for the hat; Susan Bates straight 10" US11 for the scarf
gauge: don't know
date finished: December-ish, 2005

I made this set so I would have a hat and a scarf to wear with my tweedy red winter coat, since the colors of it are almost impossible to match. It definitely needs a neutral - this cream color looks good with it, and I think most shades of beige, brown or black would work too. While the scarf does keep me very warm, it also adds a whole lot of bulk, so I don't like wearing it unless it's so cold outside that I have to.

The scarf is knit in Brioche stitch. The edges look a little weird because I didn't realize that I was slipping the stitches wrong until I was maybe 1/4 of the way through, and I decided to keep them as a design feature rather than redoing the whole thing. I don't think the edge is unattractive, just... a little uneven. On the other hand, I really like the stitch pattern, and I think it's great for a scarf because it's reversible and a unique enough technique to hold my interest throughout.

Berkshire Bulky scarf - closeup

The hat is my own pattern, and because I don't know how to measure correctly, it was knit both bottom up and top down. Don't ask. It's in a 1x1 broken rib, with a nice thick brim to keep out the piercing Boston wind. I think my favorite part is the decrease pattern on top.

Berkshire Bulky hat

Oh, and the yarn - I really like it. It sheds a decent amount, but that might get better with washing (which I'm probably not going to bother with, unless they get dirty). The alpaca makes it nice and soft, and it was very easy to work with. Plus, it has a really nice color palette, and the price can't be beat! I would definitely use Berkshire Bulky (or the lighter-weight regular Berkshire) again. Good thing too, because I have one full ball left - I figured it would be extra, but thanks to the Webs discount, it cost me -$7.46. Nothing like yarn for negative amounts of money!

2 Comments:

  • Looks like very warm and cozy set. Will be very nice to wear during cold weather.

    By Blogger Areli, at 10:28 AM  

  • The stitch definition is beautiful.

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home