knitpicking

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Classy Stripe Raglan

Gotta spread out the photo posts...

Classy Stripe Raglan

pattern: my own
yarn: Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran (80% wool, 15% silk, 5% cashmere / 93 yds per 50g) - 3 balls Temple, 3 balls Empire, 3 balls Opal, 2 balls Coal
needles: Susan Bates US9 29" circular, Inox size 9 dpns
gauge: after washing, 16 sts x 23.5 rows / 4"
date finished: January 22, 2006

So here is my third sweater, my second full sweater design, and my first top-down sweater. (I thought about using the Incredible Top-Down Raglan as a guideline, but decided to measure another sweater of mine for the basis instead.) I think this is going to get a lot of wear - the colors are subdued enough for everyday use, and it is so soft and comfy.

Classy Stripe Raglan - front shotClassy Stripe Raglan - back shot

The fit is pretty good. The only thing I'd change is the upper arm, before the armhole (meaning on top of it, because this was knit top-down) - it's a little baggy. I think I could fix this by starting with fewer stitches in the arm section from the beginning, working the same number of increases, and then adding more stitches at the underarm. Obviously it's not going to stop me from wearing this sweater, but it's something I can keep in mind for next time. The stripes constrained my length options - I think I'd prefer the body a tiny big longer and the sleeves a tiny bit shorter, but again, the way it came out is more than acceptable. Also, the collar could be a little longer. I was worried about running out of yarn on the part that hangs over the back, since I had to leave enough for the bands running along the V-neck.

My favorite detail? The raglan increases, hands down.

Classy Stripe Raglan - closeup of increases

I diligently swatched different kinds of increases - and I normally hate increasing, so swatching increases was a Big Deal for me. But it helped me find the perfect pairing. A KLL followed immediately by KRL (by the designations here) leaves a stretched out upside-down V, so when you do a bunch of them lined up on a top-down piece, you get a neat line of right-side-up V's. Pretty!

I've heard rumors that this yarn is being discontinued - which would explain why it was so cheap on Elann. But it's a shame, because it is very soft, and warm, and wooly-feeling. It creates a fabric that is both cozy and light. And it was very easy to work with, with nice stitch definition. If you can find any, I'd snatch it up before it disappears.

see all project photos

And... I'm not the only one making stripey sweaters! My sister, who a few months ago said she didn't think she'd ever knit anything besides rectangles, just finished the back of her first sweater!

Sara's sweater

Pattern is Sesame from Magknits, yarn is Paton's Decor. She wants to call it "International Sesame" because she has worked on it in the US, Austria, Italy, Scotland, and Germany. Doesn't it look good so far?!? She doesn't have a blog, so I'll post more pictures for her as she sends them to me (she's in Vienna for the semester). And yes, it is hanging on her bulletin board. ;)

7 Comments:

  • Classy indeed! It looks great, and kudos to your sister.

    By Blogger Pyewacket, at 2:25 PM  

  • Wow! Great job on yours, good job on matching the stripes and your sleeve details!

    I guess good knitting runs in the family huh! Awesome! zknitter

    By Blogger Zonda, at 3:46 PM  

  • Great sweater. You look so cute in it.

    By Blogger Areli, at 4:09 PM  

  • i really like the collar on that sweater. beautiful!

    By Blogger bradyphrenia, at 4:40 PM  

  • What a cute sweater! I love the collar. The stripey colors you chose look great together, too. And it fits so well! Yay!

    By Blogger goodkarma, at 6:06 PM  

  • It looks wonderful. I bet it feels fantastic to wear something you knit and designed yourself. Way to go!

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 8:28 AM  

  • Well, your SP might just have a couple of balls lying around of that yarn...(yes it is being discontinued)...and she might just send you a couple...Beautiful sweater btw.

    By Anonymous Secret Pal, at 10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home