knitpicking

Thursday, February 02, 2006

jetlag

I am in California right now, on what is probably the craziest vacation I've ever planned. It involves visiting friends in the 3 big cities (San Francisco, San Diego, and Los Angeles, in that order) in 5 days/4 nights. The plan also involves 3 flights, one car rental, and lunch with another friend halfway between San Diego and LA. So far things have been going smashingly. I really needed a break from my life and I think this will be the perfect stress reliever.

Except that... I'm realizing just how much I miss it out here. And it's not just the weather, it's... the whole atmosphere. I am not happy in Boston, I am not happy at MIT. Only another year and a half though, and then I can move on with my life to better things. Like the west coast for example. ;)

I'm staying with my friend Lauren right now, and it made me so happy to see the Branching Out that I made her hanging on a hook on the back of her door. She told me that she wears it a lot, since most of her other scarves are too heavy, and she's gotten lots of compliments on it. Yay! Also, after being reunited with the scarf, I have to say, I'd forgotten just how nice it is. The pattern is so pretty and delicate, and the Andean Treasure is SO SOFT - plus, it shows absolutely no signs of wear. I think I might have to make one of my own - maybe in a nice browny-taupey color to coordinate with my red coat? (That's meant as a subtle hint to my secret pal. ;))

The Knitty SP6 round started a few days ago and I'm really excited about it! My downstream pal is making things very easy for me... she has strong preferences, but they're very varied, so I've gotten a ton of ideas for gifts that I can be fairly certain she'll like. Me, on the other hand, well... I don't know how helpful I've been to my upstream pal. I'm very easy to please, I promise! I'm just very bad at articulating exactly what I would like. If I come up with anything more specific I will let you know!

Knitting-wise... let's see. I got my needles for the Baltic Sea Stole but I still haven't swatched. I'm about 2.5/3 balls through a Silk Garden mini-Clapotis. I frogged the foot and reknit my first Pomatomus sock so now it fits perfectly, which gives me incentive to finish the second. And, the most exciting of all is my current design project. I was planning on keeping it a secret in case I wanted to submit it anywhere, but it's too late to submit it to the Knitty spring issue and if I submit it to Magknits it will be okay if I've mentioned it here. (I can't imagine submitting a design anywhere else at this point in time.) I'm making a short-sleeved wrap cardigan in fluffy brioche stitch, and I'm planning on adding a beaded crochet edge around the bottom of the body and sleeves. I cast on for the back at the beginning of my 7 hour flight this morning, and I'm already past the armhole bindoffs - this thing is going FAST. Exciting!

I'll try to borrow Lauren's camera tomorrow, and finally show some pictures, since I know this blog has been severely lacking recently...

(Also, apologies if this post is a little rambly and nonsensical - I've been awake for a very long time!)

3 Comments:

  • Enjoy your time in California. You deserve some relaxation. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your design submission.

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 7:37 AM  

  • Oh, a good idea, must go shopping for lovely brown yarn to do Branching Out in...Fun Fun Fun. Enjoy you vacation time in Cali.

    By Anonymous Secret Pal, at 1:00 AM  

  • You might also consider submitting your pattern to Knitpicks. Of course, then you'd have to rework it in a Knitpicks yarn, if you aren't already . . . but you'd get compensation, so that might make it worth it.

    Enjoy your vacation!

    By Anonymous Tope, at 11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home