knitpicking

Monday, March 27, 2006

hello, spring!

I blocked my Silk Garden mini-Clapotis last night, and it appears that I have perfect timing, because today was the first day in a long time that did not require a scarf. Don't get me wrong, I am ecstatic that spring has finally sprung, but... I want to wear my pretty scarf!! It ended up a lot longer than I expected - just over 80" lying flat, and a little longer than that when the ends hang down. The scarf is almost 2 feet taller than me. And to think I considered adding fringe... ;)

Since I like to wash multiple things at the same time when I get the chance, I washed and blocked my Satori swatch last night too. And it got me to thinking - on paper, these yarns are pretty similar.

Noro Silk Garden:
45% silk, 45% kid mohair, 10% lambswool
109 yards/50 g
18 sts/4"

Artfibers Satori:
69% silk, 25% superkid mohair, 6% extrafine wool
110 yards/50 g
14 sts/4"

Satori has considerably more silk and a larger gauge, but they're both silk/mohair blends with a little wool thrown in. Seeing the two yarns next to each other, however? Well... it's like night and day. And I mean that quite literally, these 2 pieces create a very interesting color study. The Silk Garden is the "rainbow" colorway (there's a good picture here - in that picture where the 4 skeins look like different colorways, they're actually showing the huge range of colors found in this one colorway). It is bright and cheery and each stripe is vastly different from the next. The Satori is color 8 - a blend of subdued gray with hints of silver and a deep eggplant. The color shifts and changes in such a subtle way.

And then there's the difference in the feel of the yarns. To me, Satori makes the most of each of its fibers. It has the rich sheen of silk, the slight halo of mohair, the springiness of wool. Silk Garden... doesn't. The mohair doesn't fuzz up at all, the silk isn't shiny, and I've heard many reports of it growing and stretching out of shape. I think people use SG because it's like a softer version of Noro Kureyon (which isn't saying much), and they love the color changes. And I guess I understand their logic, the color changes are unlike anything else. But. I don't know, I guess I'm missing the appeal. If I'm spending that much money on yarn, I want something that feels nice, that isn't filled with knots or vegetable matter. I'm really glad my old SP sent me the Silk Garden, because I'd wanted to try it for a long time, but I don't think I'll be using it again. Whereas I'd say that if you have the chance to use Satori (or Kyoto, the solid-colored version), don't think twice. It's pricey, but worth every penny.

Okay, I promise this is my last post rambling about how much I love this yarn. At least until I cast on for the sweater...

2 Comments:

  • what, no picture of the scarf??? i love the bright rainbowy colorway. too bad spring weather is getting in your way. i'd wear it at least once. wait for a rainy day and whip it out with a light jacket.

    if it were me, i'd be in grave danger of forgetting that i have it by the time next winter rolls around.

    By Blogger bradyphrenia, at 9:22 AM  

  • So when are we going to get a picture of it? It sounds just gorgeous. And absolutely you can wear it during spring - it's light and airy enough.

    By Blogger Kirsti, at 12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home