knitpicking

Friday, March 31, 2006

home, home again

... which means pictures. :) WIPs first, because I like to put FOs in their own posts (but I promise, pics of the scarf are coming soon).

Caribbean Sea Stole (in its lumpy state):

Caribbean Sea Stole

And pinned out:

Caribbean Sea Stole - pinned out

Honestly, I love this stole, but it's slow going. I've pretty much memorized the lace pattern - all 32 rows of it - and it's very very repetitive. Also, there's a lot of plain stockinette in there. And there's patterning on both rows (decreasing into yarnovers is a PITA). So... I get bored of it pretty easily. I've been bringing it to knitting group because I can get a lot done on it there, especially when I don't bring other projects to distract me.

And speaking of other projects... I cast on for my Satori sweater on Tuesday. Three days later, I'm through half the waist increases.

Satori sweater

Thanks to the large gauge (14 sts per 4" - though it doesn't feel the slightest bit bulky) the sweater is growing rapidly. And the colors are so beautiful! The picture doesn't begin to reflect the gorgeous subtleties, ranging from a deep forest green to a rich purple. My only concern with this is that I might run out of yarn... my row gauge is significantly off (I'm getting 20 rows per 4" instead of the 17 called for) and when I multiplied the yardage called for by 20/17, I got 558 yards. My cone has 563 yards. Cutting it close much? Since I'm working from the one large cone, it's hard to tell how much yarn I've used and how much I have left... but, I think I'll be finished or I'll run out of yarn soon enough that I'll just risk it for now and call Artfibers if/when I have a problem.

My sockapalooooza socks are finished, so it's time to start thinking about the next pair. My second SP package came just in time yesterday and now I know exactly what to do next!

package #2 from my secret pal!

The yarn is KP Palette to make these fair isle socks. I've been wanting to try fair isle for a while now so these will be perfect! My mom took one look at the yarn and pattern and mentioned that the last pair of socks I made for her is starting to get a little stretched out... but when I told her the yarn is hand wash only, she agreed that it wouldn't be the best for her. I have some green sock yarn in the stash to make another pair for her anyway, so these will be alllllllll mine. *evil laugh*

Also in the package was a notebook, an ever-decreasing pile of chocolate, and three knitting magazines. It's so springy out that I'm feeling the need for warm-weather knits, so I flipped through the spring 2005 Vogue Knitting she included and instantly fell in love with this cabled tank and bolero:

cabled tank from VK spring 2005silk bolero from VK spring 2005

And, there are 6 pretty lacey scarves that I love:

lacey scarves from VK spring 2005more lacey scarves from VK spring 2005

Now I just have to decide what to make first! Thank you so much Secret Pal!!

2 Comments:

  • ooh, the stole has such pretty colors.

    i really like the vogue top and bolero too. are they in the current issue of vogue?

    By Blogger bradyphrenia, at 1:16 PM  

  • Hey Joanna! I remember you telling me which yarn you used for the Baltic Seas Stole, but now I don't remember what you said. Can you please tell me again?

    By Blogger Jennifer, at 7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home