knitpicking

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

done and done

I'm in lab right now, and I should really be working, but trying to visualize a hypersurface in 8-dimensional space and then find a set of perpendicular basis vectors is making my head hurt. So I'm blogging instead. :)

More importantly, I am wearing my finished Satori sweater! And it is fabulous! The shaping of it is so simple, but I think it's flattering (especially the wide boatneck), and all that stockinette really lets the yarn shine. Which it does, literally, because of the high silk content. As the day wears on, I'm watching it get fuzzier and fuzzier, but the fuzz is still in the form of a mohair halo... this isn't muppet fuzz or anything close to it. The high for today is supposed to be 62 degrees, but at 1:30 it's still about 50, so I can keep wearing my fuzzysoft long sleeve sweater without sweating buckets.

I finished knitting the sleeves on Monday night at knitting group, then I blocked the pieces overnight and seamed it all up yesterday. Actually I had a bit of a blocking party (which bears no resemblance to a block party, sadly) and threw my sockapaloooza socks, the one finished tulip sock, and a secret swatch in with the sweater. The tulip sock... well... it makes me a little sad. It does not fit, and I blame it partly on the pattern and partly on myself. And the parts I blame on the pattern, I still blame myself for, because I should have known better. Who works a short-row heel over less than half the stitches?? It makes the top of the sock stretch out like crazy over my ankle and the top of my foot. The heel is also a little too pointy for my tastes. Other problems: the cuff is a little tight, the foot is a little loose. (I think this happened as I got more comfortable with my continental knitting and stopped holding the yarn in my left hand with a death grip.) The foot is too long by maybe 1/4" (also totally my fault, it would have been exactly the right length if my tension was the same on the cuff and the foot).

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with it. I am seriously considering framing it and not bothering with the second one (an idea which got the Yarn Harlot stamp-of-approval, unless she just agreed with me to get me to move through the line faster). The sock is just not wearable, and I doubt it would fit anyone else either because my legs are skinny so anyone who could wear the cuff comfortably would probably have feet the same length as mine or shorter. And there is no way I'm frogging it - especially because that would involve undoing all 56 (!!) ends. If I want a wearable pair of tulip socks, I'll have to knit 2 new socks... which I may or may not do. I certainly have enough yarn leftover, but I think that fair isle with the colors changing every few rows is better suited to sweaters or vests which get steeked so you can hide all the ends there and not have to weave in FIFTY-SIX ENDS per sock. Eh, I don't have to decide right away. (Oh, also, I still haven'theard back from Knitpicks about the messed up heel directions. @#$@$^%#^!!!)

2 Comments:

  • whoa, dude, what kind of crap-ass sock pattern makes you weave in that many ends? that's just crazy talk. definitely frame it and move on.

    can't wait to see the sweater!

    By Blogger bradyphrenia, at 10:08 AM  

  • We must see a picture of you in it!

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home