knitpicking

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Pomatomus socks

Sorry the pictures are coming over a month late...

pink panther pomatomuses!

pattern: Pomatomus from Winter '05 Knitty
yarn: 2 hanks Louet Gems Opal (100% merino wool / 225 yds per 100 g) in Pink Panther (with lots of leftovers)
needles: Inox size 3 dpns
gauge: not sure, but larger than the pattern called for
date finished: end of February, 2006

I loooove these socks! I think the pattern is so much fun. It's definitely more challenging than plain stockinette, but it's fairly intuitive, and I was able to ditch the row counter quickly. I made a few modifications because I used a sport-weight yarn instead of fingering weight. Instead of 6 pattern repeats around the leg and 3 on the foot, I did 5 around the leg and 2 on the foot. (I had no idea how to do 2.5 repeats - if you can figure out a way to get that extra 1/2 repeat in there and keep the nice straight edges, let me know!) Also, I did a short-row toe, because the standard wedge toe always looks a little strange for me. I can't get my decrease line as tight as I want it to be. And I don't mind grafting those extra stitches, so I stuck to the short rows. The yarn is very nice, it machine-washes and dries beautifully. I've washed the socks twice already and they get softer each time.

One thing I didn't change about the pattern is the number of row repeats - I did the whole pattern the 3 times called for, so the cuffs of my socks are very long. But I kind of like it that way, I can wear them with boots. And the pattern is super stretchy so there are no concerns about them not fitting over my calves.

the pattern looks so pretty stretched out

I can definitely see myself making more Pomatomuseses! :)

7 Comments:

  • Great socks. I love that shade of pink.

    By Anonymous Rose, at 6:10 PM  

  • Gorgeous! That color is fantastic.

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 6:42 PM  

  • Great color! The pattern is showcased nicely.

    By Blogger Annie, at 10:04 AM  

  • those look fabulous. i think i like the solid version better than the handpainted ones.

    By Blogger bradyphrenia, at 10:41 AM  

  • Those look great! I love the length you have on them.

    By Blogger Areli, at 12:13 PM  

  • Awesome socks! Love the color!

    By Blogger Zonda, at 11:27 PM  

  • you're right, those would be awesome knee-hi's ! i prefer the solid color too, it really shows off the texture/pattern. the variegated ones are too "busy".

    By Blogger gray la gran, at 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home