knitpicking

Saturday, April 01, 2006

sockapaloooza socks

Hm... finished these a few days ago, but I'm not sure if I'm posting in time for them to count as my March socks...

finished sockapaloooza socks

pattern: my own
yarn: 2 balls KFI Cashmereno (55% merino, 33% microfiber, 12% cashmere / 148 yds per 50 g), color 6 (dark blue)
needles: Inox size 3 dpns
gauge: 7.5 sts = 1"
date finished: March 28, 2006

I wanted some sort of patterning on these, but my pal didn't want lace, so I figured I should go with either ribs or cables. Thing is, I knew I'd be cutting it close with only 2 balls of yarn... my pal has large feet (10" long, 9" around). I decided on a simple cable motif running up the instep and around the back of the leg. The socks were knit toe up to use every last bit of yarn, and they came out a little shorter than I would have liked, but I think they're still long enough to be respectable.

The motif is a 3-stitch braided cable surrounded by 2 purl stitches on each side that really pops when the sock is stretched out.

closeup of stitch pattern on sockapaloooza socks

Ignore the lumpiness, that's just because I put my hand in there and stretched it out as best as I could. ;)

Like many good yarns, this one is discontinued. I think it's very similar to Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino, but I've never used the DB version so I can't be sure. It's super soft and it makes a thick, cushy fabric. And, it's machine washable - always a plus. I would buy more to make socks for myself, if I knew where to find it! Sock pal, I hope these socks fit you and you like them!!

5 Comments:

  • Great socks :)

    By Anonymous Rose, at 2:51 PM  

  • Very pretty! What a lovely, subtle design. Now, I'd wear socks like that!

    By Blogger alison, at 9:18 AM  

  • Ooh... the cables are very nice! congrats on finishing your sockpal socks.

    By Blogger Jen, at 10:43 AM  

  • Cool design!

    By Anonymous Cristina (CrissyPo), at 1:44 PM  

  • This is a very small possibility, considering in your post, it was a tight squeeze to finish these with two balls of yarn, but I'm knitting the toddler size of "A Cardigan for Arwen" out of the same color as your beautiful cable socks, and am running out of yarn for the hood. If you happen to have scraps, I'd totally be willing to buy them from you! you can reach me at erica.patberg.net Thanks!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home