knitpicking

Thursday, April 13, 2006

still toe-less but getting closer

The tulip socks are coming along pretty quickly, though I'm sure that's in large part because I haven't been working on anything else. What can I say, fair isle is addictive!

tulip sock #1 almost finished!

What's that? You want to see the inside? Well sure, I've got nothing to hide!

inside of tulip sock #1

Okay, sorry, that was a blatant lie. In fact, the sock was very carefully positioned for that picture, because I had a whole lot to hide. The less glamorous side of fair isle:

... and only 93284017582 ends to weave in!

:O

Any tips on weaving in a bajillion ends? (Besides lots of patience and maybe a glass of wine?) I can't even tell if the sock fits me or not - I'm pretty sure it does, but when it's right-side-out, most of the space inside is taken up by the ends, so it's hard to jam my foot in there as well. Maybe I'll take it to knitting group, and nothing else, so I'll have to weave weave weave. Ugh, the sock is still sitting there on the floor, inside out, ends waving... stop taunting me! I will conquer you yet!

But first, perhaps, I'll give my sock a toe. :) I'm going to try the round toe used in the pattern, mostly because I've never tried one before and I'm curious as to how it fits. Also, I think I'm going to use a double strand for the whole toe, because I've been noticing a disturbing trend in my storebought socks recently - they ALL have holes in the toes. I'd hate for the trend to spread to my handknit socks, so hopefully double stranding will help!

If you're looking to try this pattern or the simple stripes fair isle socks from Knitpicks, you should know that the heel is... a little messed up. I emailed KP about it yesterday and am still waiting to hear their response. I was perhaps a little harsh, but they've been telling people that the heel instructions are perfectly fine, when they are obviously not. It's one thing to sell a pattern with mistakes in the first place, but to then insist that the mistakes aren't there... not cool, Knitpicks, not cool.

4 Comments:

  • Very beautiful. I feel inspired to try some fair isle myself!

    By Blogger Emma, at 10:26 PM  

  • Oh no...I cant believe the pattern was wrong...I feel so bad. :(

    Your SP

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:38 PM  

  • Forgot to add: But the sock is very pretty...

    Your Sp

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:38 PM  

  • I LOOOVE to do fair isle. I haven't tackled socks yet. Maybe soon. Yours look super.

    Amy

    By Blogger Sheryl, at 11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home