knitpicking

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Yoda

Look, it's Yoda! Y-O-D-A Yoda... Yo yo yo yo yoooooooodaaaa...
(sorry, I've had this song in my head since I started)

yoda from the front
yoda from the back

pattern: Kate from Winter '05 Knitty with Yoditty modifications by CBear
yarn: Knitpicks Wool of the Andes (100% wool / 110 yds per 50 g), 1 ball each of Fern, Chestnut, and Snickerdoodle
needles: Brittany Birch size 7 dpns
gauge: not sure yet again
date finished: April 18, 2006

I made Yoda for my downstream SP - she doesn't know who I am yet, and I'm not going to reveal myself to her in the last package. I'm going to let her guess - if you're reading this and you get a Yoda in the mail, then you're my pal! :) I followed the pattern pretty closely (with the mods) but I couldn't find any safety eyes so I had to improvise. Instead of fiddling with knitting a circle, I did the unthinkable... I picked up a crochet hook. But for what it's worth, I feel fairly comfortable with this kind of crochet - the chain a few stitches, make a circle, do some other type of crochet stuff into the hole, make it up as you go kind. It's when someone tells me to 10 dc in the sc skp2 7 dc blah blah blah that my eyes glaze over. I can't read a crochet pattern for the life of me but I'm not completely incompetent with a hook - and now I have proof!

There are quite a few things I'm not happy about it - the eyes, while roundish, are a little lumpy and uneven. And I got some serious ladders from my dpns (they're more visible on the back). And the stuffing is poking out just a bit. I'm going to suggest that the recipient throw him in the dryer for a few minutes to tighten his skin up if it's a problem, I'd do it myself but I don't really have open dryer access. But he is soft and squisy and Yoda-esque and cute, so overall I'm satisfied.

Also, he was a fun, quick knit - took about 3 days - so I could definitely see myself making more knit toys in the future. I'd make sure to go down a few needle sizes, though. I have Jess Hutchison's book so I guess it's just a matter of deciding which one to make first!

4 Comments:

  • I love it! What a cleaver adaptation.

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 7:30 AM  

  • That is so cute :) Now I've the Wierd Al song stuck in my head.
    Y-O-D-A yoda yoyoyoyoyoda.......

    By Anonymous rose, at 9:39 AM  

  • YYYYYYYOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDAAAAAAA!

    Young Padawan good learned!

    Hehehe... I am so excited about that! Did you see Leia that I developed after Yoda? I have standing requests for Hogwarts School colors, Power Puff Girls, R2D2, an Ewok one, and a ChewBacca! What have I gotten myself into!

    By Blogger CBear, at 11:50 PM  

  • I'm so glad he's mine. :-)
    I actually have the Weird Al record downstairs. I should put it on. :-)

    By Blogger Elisabeth, at 7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home