knitpicking

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Satori sweater

Huh? What's that you say? I have a blog? Oh. Hm. Guess I should post something. Will a finished sweater do?

finished Satori sweater, lying flat

pattern: free custom-made pattern from Artfibers.
yarn: 1 cone Artfibers Satori (~ 5 balls) in color 08
needles: Denise size 10.5 and 9 circulars for the body, Inox size 10.5 and 9 dpns for the sleeves
gauge: 14 sts x 20 rows = 4"
date finished: April 27, 2006

Oh Satori sweater, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
  1. You are soft.
  2. You are fuzzy.
  3. You are shiny.
  4. Your colors are neutral enough to go with anything.
  5. At the same time, the depth of your colors is incredible.
  6. Your did not pool or stripe weirdly at all.
  7. Your pattern was custom made just for me, and it shows because...
  8. You fit perfectly!

the obligatory blurry mirror shot

Yeah, this one's a keeper. I've gone on and on about this yarn quite a few times already, so I'll just let you go through the archives instead of repeating myself for the 98735984th time. (To sum up: I like the yarn. A lot.) I just noticed on the Artfibers site that they've introduced a lighter-weight version of Satori called Alfabeto. And it comes in even more colors. This could be dangerous!

I followed the pattern I got from Artfibers pretty closely. The piece was knit in the round so I made a fake seam by slipping the side stitches every other row. I did the same thing on the sleeves, though I couldn't tell from the directions if they were supposed to be knit in the round or flat. I worked the waist shaping increases and decreases 4 stitches in from the seams for a more 3-dimensional shape. Oh, and my row gauge was off, so I had to recalculate the rate of increases and decreases, and adjust the set-in sleeve shaping. Also, I worked a 3-needle bind off at the shoulders.

If there's one thing I could change about the sweater, I would have gone up a needle size on the sleeves. My gauge was a little tighter on the dpns than on the circs, so they sleeves are a wee bit tight, but once I've been wearing the sweater for more than 5 minutes the difference isn't noticeable. And it's such a minor complaint. Everything else about this sweater is perfect and I am so happy with it.

12 Comments:

  • The sweater looks wonderful! Definitely looks soft and fuzzy :) It's too bad it's too warm out to wear it now . . .

    The library is closed tomorrow, so the knitting group will meet at Diesel (in Davis Sq) instead. See you tomorrow!

    By Anonymous Tope, at 2:44 PM  

  • Love it, especially the colors! It looks very soft! :)

    By Blogger Zonda, at 11:11 AM  

  • Cute Sweater! I does look wonderfully soft.

    By Blogger Baigneuse, at 2:47 PM  

  • Your sweater is beautiful. The fit is so flattering to you. Definitely a keeper :-)

    By Blogger Areli, at 4:51 PM  

  • Very, very cute! Incredibly flattering on you, too!

    BTW - wore my Prosperous Plum tank this weekend and got gobs of compliments on it.

    By Blogger Trillian42, at 11:41 AM  

  • It looks gorgeous on you!

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 7:23 PM  

  • OK, I guess your absence is excused, if you spent the time knitting a beautiful sweater like that! Congratulations!

    By Blogger enallagma9, at 10:34 AM  

  • That's a really great sweater. It fits you very well! Nothing is as flattering as something made just for you - when it turns out right, isn't it great?

    By Anonymous the kitchener bitch, at 9:34 AM  

  • what a great fit, and it will be all ready and waiting for you as soon as the weather turns chilly!

    By Blogger bradyphrenia, at 12:51 PM  

  • You look smokin'! It looks so soft too...yeah you!

    By Blogger Jerry & Maxy, at 11:47 PM  

  • That's a great sweater, and the colors look great on you :)

    By Anonymous Rose, at 9:02 AM  

  • You look fantastic in that sweater! Way to go.

    By Blogger Jo, at 12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home