knitpicking

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

well, that will teach me to read...

So here I've been knitting away on something, thinking that if it comes out as well as it seems like it is going to, I could submit the pattern to Knitty. I'm not sure why but for some reason I am obsessed with the idea of getting a pattern published in Knitty. Once I buy yarn, the moment I decide what I want to make with it, I start thinking about how I'll write up the pattern so it can be published. But I have only "published" one pattern so far, and it was just posted on my own site, so I'm not sure it even counts. While I've been satisfied with a lot of the things I've designed, I haven't really felt that the designs are anything special, or I haven't been ecstatic over the finished item.

This thing I'm working on now, though, well I can just tell it is going to be great. I think the design is innovative and it has a good story and (in my mind of course) it would be perfect for the fall issue of Knitty. The problem? I thought the submission deadline was July 15. I knew it would be a stretch to get it finished and write up the pattern by then, but I thought I could do it. Then, today, I checked the submission page again and found out that - oops! - the date is July 1. That's... um... 11 days. In other words, it is Not Happening.

So I'm left with a few options. I could try to submit it to Magknits instead, and I think their rules are a little more flexible, so maybe I could even post a few details about it on my blog. I could wait until the winter Knitty - even though it really is more of a fall item, I think it could go either way. Or I could try self-publishing again. But then, do I offer it up for free? Do I charge?

Decisions, decisions! Right now I'm leaning towards winter Knitty, because of the aforementioned obsession with publishing in Knitty. And if that falls through, I'll try Magknits. And if they don't want me either, I can self-publish... or maybe try one of the smaller, newer knitting magazines. I know I have plenty of options, but I am still a little disappointed that I will have to let another Knitty deadline pass me by. Ah well. Perhaps I should finish the damn thing before I get too excited about it, ya think?

6 Comments:

  • Go for it.. who needs sleep??
    If you think it is a good one for fall Knitty.. give it a shot..

    The one pattern you do have out is awsome..
    So give it a shot!
    Denise
    knitchat.com

    By Blogger Sorka, at 1:24 PM  

  • You will not be happy if you don't submit it to knitty. Go for the winter issue.
    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 4:40 PM  

  • Hey, and if you ever need another test knitter... After PPT, I look forward to seeing your designs!

    And yes - go for the winter Knitty.

    By Blogger Trillian42, at 8:12 AM  

  • Go for winter! Maybe you can get some kind of early response as to whether it would be in the running or not. In any case, good luck with it!

    By Anonymous the kitchener bitch, at 10:21 AM  

  • I think you should do your best to get it into Knitty, then weigh you options if you need, too. Either way, I can't wait to see it. I'm so excited you have your Prosperous Plum tank up in all the sizes!

    By Blogger Areli, at 11:30 PM  

  • Definitely go for Knitty. And perhaps see how much you can get done by June 30th and talk to Amy to see if what you've got is enough for her to give you a yea or nay? Or wait til winter if you don't want to do nothing but knit for the next 7 days.

    By Blogger Kirsti, at 1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home