knitpicking

Thursday, July 13, 2006

so much for that idea

Well, my attempted ribbon xback is now a tidy stack of yarn cakes. Ribbon yarn really does make a nice cake - very firm, not at all mushy. Bakers take note!

... or not. I thought I was doing okay - I knit the first strap to a length where the top seemed to fit well, and then I knit the second strap to the same length... and suddenly, the whole thing seemed gappy and weird. I think I didn't knit the straps long enough to match the fit of the body, if that makes any sense. So there's a chance that I could have just knit the straps longer and it would have been okay, but not great. I liked the way the top fit with the shorter straps - the problem was really that the body was too loose.

How did that happen? I'm really not sure. I was getting a gauge of 13sts/4" and I was working on 89 stitches. That's 27.4" around. At its largest point, my bust is just under 32", so we're talking 4.5" of negative ease here... and I felt like I was swimming in it. It's interesting because the yarn itself has absolutely no give, but when it's worked in seed stitch, the damn fabric could stretch to fit an elephant.

I pulled the too-loose version of it tight on my body and figured that I could easily cut out 14 stitches, so version #2 is going to have 75 stitches, which is... um... 23" around. Can that be right? Am I really about to attempt knitting a top with 9" negative ease?? At least it will go faster, if it's so small... I guess I'll just have to try it and see.

In the meantime, I wanted a break from seed stitch, so I cast on for Sizzle, which of course begins with... seed stitch. But I pushed my way past that border and I'm maybe 5.5" in, and I love the combination of yarn and pattern together. I find myself stealing a moment here and there to work another row, and it isn't often that I feel so motivated to work in stockinette stitch. So I'm hoping for a success with this one.

I really should not be knitting at all, or even blogging, because I need to start packing in preparation for moving this weekend. I am incredibly excited about the new apartment, it's in a great location and I'll be living with a roommate I actually talk to. My hope now is that the excitement will push me through the so-not-fun process of packing and moving and unpacking. Must... push... through...

3 Comments:

  • My Ribbon X-Back has an obnoxious amount of negative ease, too - like WAAAAY more than I think it should, and it actually fits well. I think the key is that it needs negative ease in relation to your actual torso as well as your bust. The straps allow for a little more room in the bust, which helps with that.

    And I am dying to start Sizzle, but am making myself finish Bombshell first. =) Can't wait to see yours!

    By Blogger Trillian42, at 6:48 AM  

  • oh, my ribbon x-back is waiting to be frogged. it just looked like heck -- bunchy in all the wrong places!

    By Blogger carrie, at 1:42 PM  

  • Hey, good luck moving! And I want to knit Sizzle, too, but first, I must loose the excessive, ahem, fleece I'm carrying around.

    By Blogger enallagma9, at 9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home