knitpicking

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

home, home again

I'm back! And I am POOPED. Even though I got back Sunday night and it is now Tuesday afternoon, my trip just wore me out. It had a few phases.

  1. On Friday afternoon, I went to the Yankees-Red Sox game with my roommate. We watched the Yankees crush the Red Sox at Fenway Park - woohoo! The Yankees went on to sweep all 5 games of the series, making me a very happy New Yorker.
  2. After the game, I rushed back to the apartment, grabbed my bags, and got on a flight to New York. I spent Friday night at my parents' house.
  3. From Saturday morning to Monday evening, me and my sister drove from New York to Iowa, where she goes to school. This included staying at her friend's farm in central Illinois on Sunday night. More on that later.
  4. On Tuesday, my mom flew out to Iowa, and she and I helped my sister move in.
  5. From Wednesday morning to Friday afternoon, my mom and I embarked on a zig-zagging route south and west of Iowa. Before the trip, my mom had been to 45 states. She has now been to all 50. (Me, I still have 15 to go even after the trip.)
  6. Friday evening, I flew to Chicago to visit a friend of mine who graduated this past May. I stayed with him until Sunday.
  7. Finally, on Sunday I flew home. Because AirTran SUCKS, I got home about 6 hours later than I expected to.


WHEW! So, perhaps, you can see why I am exhausted. In 10 nights, I slept in 9 different beds. I covered thousands of miles between the driving and the flying. I went to 5 different airports. And you know what? The trip was a lot of fun. I am so glad I did it. I'll be happier once I get over the travel exhaustion, but that will come soon enough. Here are some pictures from phases 3-5.

First, what happens when my sister steals my camera while I'm driving:

smile!  or stick out your tongue!  either way!

On the farm: horses!

horsey!

And cows! (I swear, they must have known I had a camera, look how they posed!)

cows!

At night, we climbed to the top of the grain bin to get a better view of the stars. It was SO unbelievably clear - one of the advantages to being in the middle of nowhere!

climbing up the grain bin ladder

Then, in the morning, I had my first ever experience driving a stick-shift. On this.

the tractor... of DOOM

See? Don't I look determined? (Or maybe that's a look of terror...)

me driving the tractor...

Back on the road again, we passed the world's largest truckstop.

world's largest truckstop

After I cautiously passed 2 halves of a house driving in front of each other on the highway, one half of the house passed the other half. Or maybe they were trying to assemble the house at 70mph.

2 house-halves

Then, it was time for the next phase of the trip. Like any good road trip, this one needed mascots. Meet Corny Cob and Dorothy Gayle!

our trip mascots

We spent a night in Kansas City, MO, which has an historic jazz district, complete with a Charlie Parker memorial. Really, it's a giant green head. (It's hard to tell, but the big block underneath says "Bird Lives.")

charlie parker's giant memorial head

And... that's it! I have some more pictures from the rest of the trip, but they're still on my camera which is at home. And instead of boring you with more trip pictures, I'll probably make the next post a knitting-related one. There was not much knitting while I was gone, but there was some. I'll also give a roommate-knitting-status-update, because I'm sure you're on pins and needles waiting for one. (Just humor me, mmkay?)

2 Comments:

  • Great pictures!

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 7:23 PM  

  • YAY World's Largest Truck Stop!

    I've been there. I used to live about 1/2 hour away from that place. I love Iowa! thanks for sharing the photos.

    By Blogger Laura, at 3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home