knitpicking

Sunday, August 13, 2006

sizzle

Is it hot in here, or is it just me?

finished sizzle

Haha, you don't have to answer that. But with a name like Sizzle, it had to be asked. ;) Here are the specs:

pattern: Sizzle from The Garter Belt
yarn: 5 balls Filatura Lanarota Luxor DK (50% cotton, 50% acrylic / 110 or 130 yds per 50 g) in color 44
needles: Inox size 7 29" circular
gauge: 23 sts x 30 rows / 4"
date finished: August 9, 2006

It still needs to be blocked, but these photos were taken after I wore the top out for a night on the town, and as you can see it didn't stretch out of shape at all.

sizzle lying flat

I guess that's because of the acrylic in the yarn, though while I knit with it, the yarn felt more like a 100% cotton than a blend. It was also very splitty. However, it is really soft, has a nice sheen, good stitch definition (and it makes my stitches look so even!) and the price can't be beat. Especially the super-low sale price that Smiley's has right now in limited colors. I'm a little unsure of the yardage, because the ballband says it has 130 yards per ball and the website says 110, but either way I had plenty for this project so I'm not too concerned.

I made quite a few modifications, though they were largely in the numbers. I had a different gauge and wanted a size that the pattern wasn't written for anyway, so I had to do a lot of tweaking. But I kept the basic style and shape of the garment as written, and I could not be happier with the results. You know how I usually say, "I love this! It fits perfectly! Except for X, Y, and Z..."? Well... there's no X, Y, or Z in this case. It's just perfect. The neckline came out a little higher than I expected, but I also expected to need a camisole underneath, and as-is I can wear it on its own without showing too much. Even better, I think it inspired my roommate, because she turned to me while we were watching TV earlier today and said the magic words: "Will you teach me how to knit?"

9 Comments:

  • It's lovely! You've done a great job! And I am especially happy to read your opinion of the yarn ... which I have noticed on Smiley's site for a long time. :)

    By Blogger Agnes, at 12:18 AM  

  • She looks great on you. The color is perfect.

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 6:53 AM  

  • So cute! And that is a gorgeous color on you!!!

    And yay for inspirational knitting!

    By Blogger Trillian42, at 7:56 AM  

  • The top is so cute. I think I might have to make one.

    By Anonymous rose, at 9:46 AM  

  • wow, all of the sizzles i've seen have been so flattering. i love the color of yours.

    and congrats on getting your friend to come over to the dark side. muhuhahaha.

    By Blogger bradyphrenia, at 10:07 AM  

  • That is gorgeous! Love the color and it looks so good on you!! Enjoy it! :)

    By Blogger Zonda, at 7:48 PM  

  • That DOES look hot! Yay for Sizzle! I think I may have to get that pattern after seeing all the great Sizzleses.

    By Blogger Brittany, at 8:26 PM  

  • Yay, you sizzle in the sizzle. It looks great, good job!

    By Blogger schrodinger, at 10:07 PM  

  • It looks fabulous! I finally broke down and bought the pattern recently. I love how yours turned out! I really need to get going on mine!

    By Blogger turtlegirl76, at 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home