knitpicking

Friday, September 01, 2006

biting off more than i can chew?

I have become obsessed - absolutely, positively obsessed - with my purple top. I'm sitting here in my office on a Friday afternoon before a 3-day weekend and I can't focus on work at all, and can I just go home and knit a little please? Nobody else is here to even know the difference... and I have a friend staying with me for most of the weekend, so I might not get to knit much while she's here...

I think one of the things that's so captivating about the top is that it really is a challenge and a learning experience. I read so much knitting-related material that I know exactly what I want to do, and I know that it is possible, but I don't quite know how to do it. There is a good chance that the top will come out looking too busy, simply because I'm trying to cram so much into it, but I'm not sure yet.

The cables were just the beginning, really. I want to shape the bust with short rows, which I've never done before - oh, and it's in seed stitch, and I've never worked short rows in seed stitch at all. I'll swatch that later. I wanted a small lace motif to run down where darts would be placed on the front and the back; I had to swatch about 5 different things before I found one I liked. Next I need to figure out if I can incorporate increases into the lace pattern - maybe by just leaving out a decrease, and letting the yarnovers increase for me. More swatching! And I want to finish the whole thing off on the bottom with a beaded applied i-cord, even though I have never knit an applied i-cord, or beaded anything.

What am I getting myself into?? (And more importantly, why can't I get into it RIGHT NOW instead of sitting here and pretending to work for a few more hours? :P)

1 Comments:

  • you sound just like me.

    well, not about that whole designing thing...i'm not a swatcher. i like to just plunge right in and cry later when it fails.

    no, i meant we're the same on that pretending to do work while i'd rather knit thing. actually, that's what i'm doing right now. :-)

    By Blogger bradyphrenia, at 3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home