knitpicking

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

periwinkle top

It seems I have a Passion (or Perhaps just a Penchant) for Producing Purple tank top Patterns with yarns whose color names have a Plethora of P's, such as Prosperous Plum or Pastoral Peri Premiere.

(okay, enough of that...)

periwinkle top from the front periwinkle top from the back

pattern: my own
yarn: 4 hanks Classic Elite Premiere (50% pima cotton, 50% tencel / 108 yds per 50 g) in color 2407 (Pastoral Peri)
needles: Inox size 7 29" circular
gauge: 22 sts x 28 rows / 4"
date finished: September 17, 2006

This top was a huge learning experience for me, both the knitting and the designing. And the end result is, in a word: Perfect.

I discovered that the best natural light in my room occurs first thing in the morning, when I barely look awake, so the modelled shots are headless. And yes, I am wearing pajama pants. Just look at the tank top and ignore everything else...

periwinkle top periwinkle top periwinkle top from the back

I've discussed a lot of the details in previous posts so I won't bore you with them again. The general recipe was: 1) knit cable band until it fits under bust, 2) graft ends together, 3) pick up stitches for the top and work in seed stitch, with short rows for bust shaping, 4) pick up stitches for the bottom and work in stockinette with lace insets and fake seams, 5) after a few inches, increase for hip room, 6) finish off with beaded applied i-cord.

My favorite detail is the edging along the straps. They are worked in seed stitch with the first stitch slipped to give a chain edge. For the transition to the straps in the front, instead of trying to decrease in pattern, I got rid of the extra stitches by using the method for curved bind-off edges. This made a perfectly smooth switch from the neckline bindoffs to the chain edge along the strap. It's incredibly difficult to photograph but I tried in the 4th shot.

periwinkle top - closeup #1 periwinkle top - closeup #2 periwinkle top - closeup #3 periwinkle top - closeup #4

I have a feeling I'll be wearing this as a vest more than a tanktop, because the weather is starting to change. I think it will work well over a plain white button-down - maybe I'll wear it that way to the Boston Knit-Out this weekend. Between the cables and the lace and the beads, it's much fancier than the clothes I usually wear, but it makes a great dressy piece. I have some concerns over how long it will last, since I've heard that the yarn pills very quickly, but I plan on treating it as delicately as possible. I'm not sure if I'd use the yarn again, only because of the pilling issue... it is so soft, with great drape and stitch definition. It just glides through your fingers. But... it leaves a good deal of fuzz behind as it glides. Let's just say I am a little weary. This is kind of the cotton equivalent of Malabrigo - really great to work with, but you get the feeling it will pill and look fuzzy and matted if you turn your back for a second.

Either way, I think it worked well for this top, and I couldn't be happier with the results.

15 Comments:

  • so sleek! so many details!

    it's lovely. and perfect. and you always know how to pick the best colors for you.

    sorry just had to rush on over to swoon.

    By Blogger bradyphrenia, at 2:49 PM  

  • GORGEOUS! And really flattering!

    By Blogger Trillian42, at 3:17 PM  

  • that is beautiful, maybe you should post a pattern? i think this is the first tank i have really liked

    By Blogger stringthing, at 4:51 PM  

  • I'm in love....I'll have to try this construction method at some point, because I just adore the cabled band placed right there!

    By Blogger Avrienne, at 6:54 PM  

  • really lovely - all the details you've added really make it an amazing design, as well as a pretty sweet tank. Prepare to be hounded for the pattern - and approached plenty at the Knit Out. If the weather holds, you'll be all set to wear it!

    By Blogger Thea, at 7:04 PM  

  • Whoa momma that is beautiful! The first thing that caught my eye is how brilliant the seed-stitch top is. And reading all the added details makes me love it even more. Lovely!

    By Blogger Brittany, at 5:21 AM  

  • Beautiful top! Very lovely indeed.

    By Blogger Baigneuse, at 6:00 AM  

  • ooooooooohhhh.. waow!
    Very nice!
    Denise
    knitchat.com

    By Blogger Sorka, at 5:05 PM  

  • Wow, that's amazing. I love all the details and the cables are amazing. It looks very IK-esque to me. Have you thought about submitting it or something similar?

    By Blogger Nell, at 4:16 AM  

  • I agree that it does look very IK-ish. It is exquisite and you model it very well. I am awestruck. I liked your 1st tank a lot, but this one blows me away with the detail. Nice job. Let us know if you ever offer the pattern.

    By Blogger Ali, at 8:53 PM  

  • Beautiful design, and a perfect fit and colour!

    By Anonymous Jacquie, at 12:17 AM  

  • Really nice details. A beautiful piece of knitting design. Congrats!

    By Blogger Mary, Mary..., at 11:44 AM  

  • This top is stunning! Will you ever post the pattern? I think many of us would be eternally greatful!

    By Blogger Kozy Kitty, at 2:05 PM  

  • Oh my gosh! That is absolutely stunning! I don't suppose you would post more detailed instructions would you???? I'm obviously not the only one begging for it! Tee hee!

    It is gorgeous!

    By Blogger prairiegirl, at 10:17 PM  

  • This is a beautiful design.

    By Blogger Nikki, at 6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home